No physician referrals required.
About Spine and Sports
Welcome to Tier 1 Spine & Sports, the practice of Dr. J. Keith Nichols, a physiatrist who is board certified in sports medicine and rehabilitation. Physiatrists (\fi-zē-ˈa-trists\) are physicians who specialize in physical medicine and rehabilitation. The word physiatry comes from the Greek words physikos, which means "physical," and iatreia, which means "the art of healing." Physiatrists use physical interventions as well as therapeutic medicinal treatments to address the whole person and restore patients to a better quality of life.
Formerly a physician for several major athletes and sports teams in Tennessee, Dr. Nichols says that his goal is not to treat chronic pain, but rather to prevent it using a sports medicine approach to maximize function and mobility.
He specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of teenagers and adults in three major areas of care:
- Musculoskeletal injuries and pain syndromes
- Dr. Nichols offers nonsurgical treatment of conditions that include everything from sports and/or work injuries to degenerative conditions such as common arthritis or low back pain.
- Electrodiagnostic medicine
- Dr. Nichols uses electromyography (EMG) and nerve conduction studies to evaluate and treat various neurological disorders.
- Interventional pain management
- Dr. Nichols utilizes various diagnostic and therapeutic injections and procedures, most commonly involving the spine, to alleviate or diminish pain.
About Our Facility
Every exam room in Dr. Nichols' practice features state-of-the-art technology, including iPads and 42-inch LED televisions for patient enjoyment and to help them visualize, through computer animations, their diagnosis and recommended treatments.
Dr. Nichols administers injections and other treatments in a posh procedure room outfitted with dimmers, recliners and other amenities so that patients can feel completely at home in a calm, soothing environment.